Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Saint Paul's Will Grigsby Wins World IBF Title

Will Grigsby boxes out of St. Paul. Last weekend, he won a World Title for the third time, easily outpointing Victor Burgos for the IBF Flyweight Championship. The fight was on the undercard of the Winky Wright-Felix Trinidad pay-per-view event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Grigsby, 35, didn't fight for 29 months -- June 2002 to November '04 -- because of legal problems. He spent several months in jail because of charges of domestic abuse and involvement in pit-bull fighting. "This means more to me than I can explain," Grigsby was quoted as saying after the fight. "I felt a little rusty ... I'll be better next time."
Trainer Dennis Presley and new International Boxing Federation junior flyweight champ Will Grigsby. Grigsby's goal? Make a little money and open a funeral parlor in the old St. Paul neighborhood. But first he hopes to unify the title: "I want to know that I'm the baddest man out here at this weight."