Saturday, March 10, 2007

Man Goes To Buy Fire Extinguisher After Apartment Catches Fire

If your apartment caught fire, you probably wouldn't do what one suburban Phoenix man did. Maricopa County sheriff's Lt. Paul Chagolla says Jonathan Zaletel allegedly was using a toaster to cook methamphetamine in his bedroom closet when the appliance caught fire. The 19-year-old Chandler resident first tried water to put out the fire. When that didn't work, he used window cleaner, which also didn't help. Instead of calling for help, Chagolla says Zaletel drove to a neighborhood Wal-Mart to buy a fire extinguisher.By the time he returned home, the condo's sprinkler system had put out the flames and the fire department had been called. When firefighters got a look at the bedroom closet, they called authorities. Zaletel was booked into jail on suspicion of manufacturing dangerous drugs, possession of chemicals and equipment to manufacture dangerous drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana and criminal damage.