Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Woman Suing Hospital After One Twin Survives Abortion

A 20-year-old woman from Scotland is suing a hospital for botching her abortion which was performed there in 2001. Stacy Dow was pregnant with twins but the procedure only terminated one pregnancy. Her daughter, Jayde, is now three-years-old and healthy. Dow is raising her with her parents. Her father even took on a second job in order to help pay for the expenses related to the child.(Why didn't she put the un-wanted child up for adoption??) (Could it be because lawsuits pay so well) 'I have got a child now that I wasn't planning to have and I believe the hospital should take some responsibility for that,' Dow said. (This child is going to have a lot of self esteem issues) She is seeking damages in the amount of 250,000 pounds or roughly $500,000. Her lawsuit contends that the hospital in Perth, Scotland failed 'to take reasonable care to establish that the termination had been successful.' Dow was six weeks pregnant when she had the abortion procedure. She was told there was no living material left in her womb. When she found out she was still pregnant with one child, she was shocked. 'After 33 weeks I went to the GP and he told me I was pregnant. I thought he meant I had fallen pregnant again, and I couldn't believe it when I was told that it was one of the original pregnancies.'