A national movement that supporters say protects college students from indoctrination by college professors but opponents say stifles debate made its way to Minnesota on Wednesday when two legislators proposed legislation that they call the "Academic Bill of Rights." Sen. Michele Bachmann, R-Stillwater, and Rep. Ray Vandeveer, R-Forest Lake, said their bill would require the state's publicly funded colleges and universities to adopt policies that would mandate that professors not use their classrooms to promote their personal political or ideological beliefs. It also says that students would not be punished for disagreeing with their instructors' politics. While Bachmann, who has announced that she is a candidate for Congress, said the law would apply across the political spectrum, the focus nationally has been complaints from conservative students that left-wing professors have tried to use their classrooms to indoctrinate young minds with liberal propaganda. At a morning news conference, speakers included students and professors who talked of feeling punished for their conservative views. No speakers complained about conservative instructors. Lawmakers in 21 other states have introduced similar bills, part of a national movement spearheaded by Students for Academic Freedom, a Washington-based student network founded by conservative activist David Horowitz. Horowitz spoke at the news conference, saying it was unprofessional for professors to impose their political ideologies on their students. "You don't go into a doctor's office and expect to get a political lecture or see on his office door cartoons bashing John Kerry or bashing George Bush," he said.
Sunday, March 06, 2005
- Name: CRUEL KEV.
- Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
- Maximum Pain Is Aim Of New U.S. Weapon
- Terrorist Tried To Set Up A Training Camp In Arizo...
- Major Arrests Show A Shift In Iraq
- Kobe Bryant Settles Civil Case
- Missile Launcher Installed At Naval Warfare Center...
- "Cheeseburger Bill" Aims To Curb Fast Food Lawsuit...
- Indian Teen's Fraud NASA Claim.
- No Missile Defense For Canada.
- Ward Churchill Has Bad Breath From All The Bull Sh...
- Pope Rushed to Hospital With Relapse